Dis are the factors that makes Universities rated than Polytechnics;
1. CURRICULUM: University education in Nigeria, like in other developing countries, is to produce graduates grounded in generic skill and, quality education for the nation’s economic development. University curriculum therefore, reflect research about what works, as opposed to what is popular today or tomorrow. This
implies that the curriculum content enable students to attain the
society’s expectations, and perhaps most importantly, their needs.
2. STRUCTURES: Most Nigerian Universities have outstanding structures and academic environment more than that of Polytechnic. Most of Polytechnics structures are not up to standard, even most of the buildings in some polytechnics are of old structures.
3. COURSES: Universities run more courses than Polytechnics. Most top professional courses are studied at university level e.g Medicine, Law, Architecture, etc. Though we have Legal studies in replacement of law, SLT in replacement of medicine in Polytechnics, and Architect. But are not well recognise.
4. MODE OF DRESSING: Corporate dressing can be seen in most Nigerian Universities, especially the so called private Universities. Also most of courses run by university has there code of dressing e.g Medicine, Engineering, and Law.
5. ACADEMIC PERFORMERS: Most outstanding students can be seen at Universities, compared to Polytechnics. Most of the Universities are more strict. You hardly bribe lecturers cause many are Professors so, is what u write that you get in most cases. Unlike polytechnics where you easy bribe lecturers to have distinction or upper credit.
6. ACADEMIC STAFFS: Least you can see in Universities as a lecturer is a Doctor (Ph .D). A masters holding can only be of an assistant. Most Seniors lecturers are Professors.
While the highest you can get in a polytechnics is a Doctor ( Rector), others are MSc, B. sc or HND holder